Wengen, Switzerland, Jan. 16, 2001--Erik Schlopy (Park City, UT) was sixth in the first run of a World Cup slalom Sunday but skied out onthe bottom of his second run as Benjamin Raich led an Austrian sweep of the top five places.
Raich won in 1:44.42 with Rainer Schoenfelder second with a 1:45.71 clocking and Mario Matt was third.
After rain or fog wiped out speed races Friday and Saturday, the men's schedule resumed with the slalom. Sacha Gros (Vail, CO) was.05 away from reaching the second run while 26 skiers were DNF in the first run, including Bode Miller (Franconia, NH) and ChipKnight (New Canaan, CT).
CAFE de COLOMBIA WORLD CUP
Wengen, SUI - Jan. 14
1. Benjamin Raich, Austria, 1:44.42
2. Rainer Schoenfelder, Austria, 1:45.71
3. Mario Matt, Austria, 1:46.07
4. Florian Seer, Austria, 1:46.75
5. Kilian Albrecht, Austria, 1:46.86
6. Mitja Kunc, Slovenia, 1:46.92
7. Alain Baxter, Great Britain, 1:47.05
8. Andrzej Bachleda, Poland, 1:47.06 r>9. Kjetil Andre Aamodt, Norway, 1:47.09 10. Johan Brolenius, Sweden, 1:47.26
DNF-2: Erik Schlopy, Park City, UT
Did not qualify for 2nd run: Sacha Gros, Vail, CO
DNF-1: Bode Miller, Franconia, N.H.; Chip Knight, New Canaan, CT