Vail, CO, February 10, 2003 (News Release) – The 6th Annual U.S. Freeskiing Open produced by FREEZE magazine concluded yesterday in Vail, Colorado. This year’s event featured the biggest names in men and women’s freeskiing in four disciplines of skiing – Big Air, Slopestyle, Superpipe and Skiercross – with a $60,000 purse divided up among each category winner.
In the men’s division, Mickael Deschaenaux of Champery, Switzerland finished first in the Big Air competition. Tanner Hall of Mammoth, California took the grand prize in Slopestyle, while Lars Lewen of Stockholm, Sweden placed 1st in Skiercross. Finally, Jon Reedy of Mammoth, California impressed the judges to take home the grand prize in Superpipe.
Rounding out the women’s division was Sarah Burke of Mammoth, California, who skied her way to first place in Slopestyle. In addition, Karin Huttary of Innsbruck, Austria finished in first place in Skiercross as well as Marie Martinod of Aime, France in Superpipe.
Complete results of the 6th Annual U.S. Freeskiing Open include:
1. Tanner Hall – Mammoth, California
2. Jon Olsson – Are, Sweden
3. Nick Mercon – Breckenridge, Colorado
4. Simon Dumont – Bethel, Maine
1. Sarah Burke – Mammoth, California
2. Kristi Leskinen – Mammoth, California
3. Jess Cumming – Boulder, Colorado
4. Hannah Farrar – Aspen, Colorado
1. Lars Lewen – Stockholm, Sweden
2. Enak Gavaggio – Savoie, France
3. Reggie Crist – Sun Valley, Idaho
4. Xavier Kuhn – Alsace, France
1. Karin Huttary – Innsbruck, Austria
2. Ashleigh McIvor – Whistler, BC
3. Cecilie Hagen Larsen – Tjukon, Norway
4. Aleisha Cline – Whistler, BC
Men’s Big Air
1. Mickael Deschaenaux – Champery, Switzerland
2. Tanner Hall – Mammoth, California
3. Simon Dumont – Bethel, Maine
4. John Symms – Mammoth, California
FREEZE’s U.S. Open is freeskiing’s most prestigious event. In its sixth year, the Open is the longest-running event of its kind. With more than 250 athletes competing in Slopestyle, Superpipe, Big Air and Skiercross at Vail’s Golden Peak Park, the competition has been a showcase for the sport’s top stars as well as the proving ground for young up-and-comers.