The Teva Mountain Games return to Vail, Colorado, between May 30 and June 3, and Skiing is sending its most athletically average editors to compete in the Ultimate Mountain Challenge. But there’s a problem. For all their beer-drinking and sandwich-eating abilities, Kevin Luby and Gavin Gibson do not make up a four-person team. There are four events in the UMC: Trail Running, Road Biking, Mountain Biking, and Whitewater Kayaking/Stand Up Paddling. Gibson will do the mountain-biking leg. Luby—being incredibly gifted on all fronts—has agreed to enter as a “wild card.” This means they’ll need help with the Road Biking, Trail Running, and Whitewater elements of the UMC.
That’s where YOU come in, loyal fans. Team Skiing needs two exceptionally talented athletes to help compete. Team Skiing isn’t going to take just anyone though. To get on the team you’ll have to prove yourself.
JOIN TEAM SKIING: THE OFFICAL RULES
- You don’t have skills if you don’t claim them. We want 100 words or less claiming why you’re the raddest person in your sport. Impress us with your awesome (Yes, we're using "awesome" as a noun). Winners will be chosen based on how impressed the Skiing staff is. That is the only criteria. Entrants must be able to show up for at least the day of competition. No lodging will be officially provided.Winners will be chosen at 3 PM MST on Friday, May 25.Email contest entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a photo, along with your 100-word entry, that epitomizes your awesome.
- At least one female will be chosen in accordance with the Teva Mountain Games guidelines.
- You must be able to compete in Road Biking, Trail Running, or a Whitewater event. See Teva Mountain Games Guidelines for details.
- All entrants must be 21 or older. We’re going to be having fun. LOTS.
What you win:
- Free Entry in the Teva Mountain Games. A prize pack of sweet stuff courtesy of Skiing.Après fun.
- Enduring fame on SkiingMag.com
We’ve included a sample entry here. Please note that we’d like to see you claiming the sport you plan on competing in. We’ve progressed Ditch Jumping so far the sport is now officially over.
Note: We got a little fancy with our photo. Stills are just fine.
Kevin Luby's Entry:
Dudes are jumping such gnarly ditches. A lot of the time the consequence can be death. That’s just where the progression of jumping ditches is going man. Sure you might stub your toe, or roll an ankle, but you can’t quit. They don’t stop NASCAR, they don’t stop Indy Car, they don’t stop boxing. Because that’s not the answer—to stop. The answer is to keep going—man. Let’s keep going. I want to jump ditches on Mars. You know what I mean?