Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Los Angeles (Dec. 26th, 2008)
– Steve Bellamy, Chairman and CEO of
announced that The Ski Channel launched on Christmas Day to 15,000,000 US households on Time Warner Cable, DirecTV, Cox Communications, Verizon FiOS and Brighthouse Networks. More distribution will be announced shortly as well as numerous programming deals.
“My family has never watched so much television as we did today,” said Bellamy. “The network is the ultimate escape. Today viewers got to travel all over the world and live vicariously through some of the coolest most inspirational people on the planet. We were bombarded with emails from viewers who spent their Christmas watching The Ski Channel all day long. It was a great day!”
The initial programming included numerous television series and films taking viewers to some of the most exotic and extreme destinations in the world. The schedule includes:
Steep and Deep
– one the greatest Warren Miller Films.
Between Earth and Sky
– breathtaking cinematography of para-gliders stepping off two thousand foot ledges and flying beautiful colored canopies against the backdrop of the Himalayas.
AK the Hard Way
– three adventure seekers and their canine companion push themselves to the envelope. Steeps similar to stepping off the edge of a skyscraper and ‘top of the world’ views in Alaska.
– introspective look at a group of twenty somethings and their relationship to the mountains. Incredible skiing and scenics.
The Ride Guide
– heli skiing, remote destinations and the never-ending search for the ultimate ride.
– instruction, race results and exotic destinations.
Thrills and Spills
– outrageous air, insane wrecks and the best of Warren Miller all distilled down to 30-minutes.
is an original ad supported VOD television network delivered via cable, satellite, telco, web and wireless. It is the only television network devoted to year round mountain activities such as skiing, snowboarding, hiking, biking, backpacking, climbing, base jumping, off-slope activities and magazine shows, reality shows, movies, events, news, weather and programs that focus on destination travel, equipment, instruction and real estate. Corporate partners include: Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Brighthouse Networks, Panasonic, Marquis Jets, Fender Guitars, Mirage, Rage Films, Ride Guide, World Heli Championships, Teva Mountain Games, Level 1, Skiers World and Olympic Gold Medalist Jonny Moseley.