Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Dynafit’s new freeride-touring binding (read an overview here) comes with brakes in the following millimeter widths: 90, 105, 120, 135. Each pair, according to the manufacturer, weighs 935 grams. The following gallery is in Dynafit’s words. We’ll get back to you with our opinions after we’ve been able to test the binding.
1) Perfectly complemented release mechanisms for toe and heel units.
2) Rotating toe piece for ideally combating premature release caused by sudden impacts. (Patent pending)
3) New, revolutionary design and setup for rear pivot points enable extra vertical movement thus increasing the release path/release value/tech gap (to 10mm from 4mm). (Patent pending)
4) This design allows increased energy absorption through greater elasticity when performing dynamic actions (e.g. jumps). (Patent pending)
5) Binding entry achieved by pressing the heel down with controlled force. Entry force is therefore low whatever the setting (DIN range 6-16), providing convenient entry in deep snow with higher DIN values. (Patent pending)
6) Ultra-low binding height ensuring at-to-ski contact for boot (DYNAFIT Vulcan: rear 23mm; front 17mm)
7) Low forward-lean angle between front of foot (toe) and heel (rear) provides an extremely stable and smooth ride = minimal ramp angle.
8) New, specially designed boot-heel insert for maximum force absorption even at DIN 16 plus optimum power transfer between binding and boot. (Patent pending)
9) System with outstanding torsional rigidity due to boot’s 4 attachment points (Patent pending)
10) Maximum stride thanks to traditional DYNAFIT pivot point.
11) NO lifted weight during ascent thanks to frameless construction. World’s first frameless ski touring binding with up to DIN 16.
12) Extra-wide binding baseplate as well as bore-hole template designed in line with maximum norm dimensions. This design is specially made for broad shovel skis with a minimum central width of 80mm.
13) EASILY THE LIGHTEST SYSTEM AROUND, with DIN release up to 16.