Jenny Wiegand was born in Germany and raised on the ski slopes of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. She raced club-level in college and afterwards instructed at Crested Butte Mountain Resort, Colo., Mt. Buller in Australia, and coached club racing in Germany. As SKI's women's ski test director, it's Jenny's job to summarize all the feedback SKI's female gear testers provide and try to condense their expert analysis into the 60-word ski reviews published in SKI's annual Gear Issue.
Unwilling to stand on the sidelines and let the other testers have all the fun, Jenny is also an official tester herself. This makes for hectic days during SKI Test, but hey—someone's got to do it. When Jenny's not skiing on assignment for SKI, you can find her lapping Crested Butte's extremes.
- Height: 5'5"
- Weight: 140 lbs.
- Age: 32
- Home mountain: Crested Butte, Colo.
- Avg. days per season: 51+
- Years testing for SKI: 3
Skiing Style & Terrain Preference
- Athletic skier with a race background
- Would rather be on edge than sliding around on the base of the ski
- Short turns are her jam
- Spends most of her time off-piste
- Stability at speed
- Lively and responsive
- Metal in the core
- Shorter turn radius
- Tip rocker but more modest tail rocker
- Favorite ski from 2021 SKI Test: Blizzard Sheeva 10
- Skis: 4Frnt MSP CC and Rossignol Black Ops Rallybird Ti; "Both are similar in that they are wider-waisted all-mountain skis that not only perform well off-piste but carve really well on groomers. Super stable at speed but also very responsive and playful. Just the best combo of everything."
- Ski boots: Nordica Speedmachine 115; "I have a pretty wide foot, so I need a boot with a wide last; I also like to ski with a forward stance, so I gravitate towards stiffer boots (115+ flex)."
- Outerwear: "I'm lucky enough to get to swap my kits out regularly because I'm usually testing something new, but I usually go for shell kits and grab a warm, insulating midlayer. I'm newly obsessed with bibs that have drop-seats, like the Holden Sierra Bib."
- Accessories: SunBum sunblock; "Really like the texture of this sunscreen, it's light and doesn't feel greasy. It also smells amazing."
- Biggest gear epiphany: "I realized that I actually prefer women's-specific skis. I used to ski male or unisex skis that just made me work so much harder. I've realized that there are women's-specific skis out there that perform just as well as their male/unisex counterparts, but they don't suck all my energy out of me. I can ski longer and more efficiently on them."
If you like Jenny's take on skis, you may also agree with...
Georgie Bremner and Erika Northrop: "During daily debriefs after days of ski testing I tend to agree with Georgie's and Erika's assessment of skis. Both seem to like the skis that charge at speed but are also poppy and playful."