Name: Jon Jay
Tests Participated in during 2018:
- SKI Test at Deer Valley, Utah
- Indie SKI Test at Loveland, Colo.
- Backcountry SKI Test in Colo.
- All Mountain Utility Boot Test in Colo.
- 6'0", 190 lbs, 30 years old.
Jon grew up in Glenwood Springs, Colo., and learned to ski at Aspen Snowmass starting at the age of 3. While attending the University of Denver, he was President of the DU Alpine Club and competed on the Freeskiing World Tour. He lived Kazakhstan for two years and completed a number of first descents in the Tien Shan mountains of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, and then spent three years living in Silverton, Colo., where he received my AIARE Level 2 course certificate and EMT license. Now he lives in Boulder and skis all over the world for work. He trail runs and rides bikes when not skiing.
Currently the digital content editor for SKI Magazine and oversees all hardgood tests. No professional skiing background, but he worked in various ski shops for almost a decade and is still a total gear nerd.
Years of Testing for SKI Magazine
Skiing Style / Foot Shape
- People commonly describe his skiing style as "Heavy Metal," and he does enjoy skiing hard and fast.
- His foot is very wide in the forefoot and has a high arch, but a generic-sized heel and ankle. He prefer stiff, wide boots.
Opinions about Fellow Testers
- "Mike Rogan is one of the smoothest skiers in the world and nearly always perfectly balanced on his edges. I'm pleasantly surprised we had similar feedback about many skis despite my style being almost the opposite of his."