Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Jon grew up in Glenwood Springs, Colo., and learned to ski at Aspen Snowmass starting at the age of 3. While attending the University of Denver, he was President of the DU Alpine Club and competed on the Freeskiing World Tour. He lived Kazakhstan for two years and completed a number of first descents in the Tien Shan mountains of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, and then spent three years living in Silverton, Colo., where he received his AIARE Level 2 course certificate and EMT license.
He now lives in Boulder and skis all over the world for work. As the SKI Test director, Jon oversees all hardgood tests. No professional skiing background, but he worked in various ski shops for almost a decade and is still a total gear nerd. He is also SKI’s digital content editor.
- Age: 32
- Height: 6’0″
- Weight: 200 lbs.
- Home mountain: Aspen Snowmass, Colo.
- Avg. days per season: 51+
Skiing Style & Terrain Preference
- Primarily a freeride-oriented skier, former Freeskiing World Tour athlete
- Enjoys skiing hard and fast
- Looks for steep terrain with things to jump off
- Wide skis that are playful yet damp
- Skis that can carve and charge with ease
- Favorite ski from 2021 SKI Test: Nordica Enforcer 100
- Skis: Nordica Enforcer 100; “No matter the conditions, it does everything well.”
- Ski boots: Tecnica Mach1 MV; “Great fit and solid performance in all terrain.”
- Outerwear: Helly Hansen Lifa Infinity Shell; “Performs like a breathable softshell in sunny conditions and a solid hardshell in snowy conditions.”
- Favorite accessories: Shred Simplify goggles; “Best lenses I’ve used so far for clarity of vision and a wide peripheral view.”
- Biggest gear epiphany: “If you want to really impress everyone riding the lift, stomp the showtime air but then get your hip on the ground carving on the groomer below. A ski that allows you to do both is an ideal ski.”
If you like Jon’s take on skis, you may also agree with…
Mike Rogan and Jon Sexauer. “Mike is one of the smoothest skiers in the world and nearly always perfectly balanced on his edges. I’m pleasantly surprised we had similar feedback about many skis despite my style being almost the opposite of his. Jon Sexauer has the most freestyle-oriented roots, always has the most fun while skiing, and is a constant reminder never to take it too seriously.”