Name: Stephanie Humes
Tests Participated in during 2018:
- SKI Test at Deer Valley, Utah
- Performance Boot Test in Utah
- 5'8", 135 lbs, 46 years old.
Stephanie grew up in Warwick, NY and learned to ski when she was 2 at Gore Mountain. She skied at Mt. Peter almost daily, but still travelled and skied all over New England, mostly in Vermont. Before making the move to Park City she lived in Hunter, NY and worked at the local mountain.
Stephanie is a professional bootfitter and hardgoods salesperson. She worked at Jans in Utah for 15 years but is in transition to another company, and currently working independently. "No other industry for me thanks. I love the ski industry."
Years of Testing for SKI Magazine
- 8 SKI Tests and 2 Boot Tests
Skiing Style / Foot Shape
- "My skiing style is fall line skiing, aggressive slightly forward in my stance naturally, although I can adapt to different ski sweet spots. Some times you have to ski a ski more centered."
- "I have a very hard to fit foot. My last is 83mm. I have an average arch with a low instep. My ankles are very slender and usually are not held by the boot’s ankle pocket. My heel typically moves in every low volume high performance and race boot I try on. I always end up using Zip Fits and Boot Doctors liners to take up volume and a footbed of course."
Opinions about Fellow Testers
- "I love them all so much!!! Every year I’m fortunate enough to be put together in this group of truly stellar skiers that know their shit. Every debrief brings educated opinions that don’t always agree but sometimes oddly there’s a selection of skis we all magically agree on. So many different styles of skiing but all strong."
Favorite Gear of 2019
- SKI Test: Stöckli Stormrider 85 Motion. "It’s All Mountain so it will go anywhere and do anything. Damp, powerful, torsionally solid to go mach schnell yet slow it up and ski bumps, smear turns when the trail gets crowded. It won’t float like a powder ski but with its early rise you won’t be on the bottom either. It blasts through crud as if it’s a joke. Just a solid all around ski."
- All Mountain Utility Boot Test: Head Raptor 110 RS W. "Fit my foot out of the box perfectly. Held my low volume boot well. It has a lower cuff than I’m used to but I didn’t notice when I skied it. Felt responsive and for me a completely neutral stance. It had power but no snappy rebound. Solid and torsionally stiff no matter what speeds you’re at."