It’s time to get serious. Ski season is right around the corner and no matter how big a role gravity plays in our sport, skiing is not for the weak-legged. You don’t have to have quads of the gods to ski well, but imagine how much more fun you’d have lapping back bowls if you did.
That’s where this pre-season boot camp comes in. Designed by former U.S. Ski Team strength and conditioning coach Chris Miller, this ski-specific training plan includes a full week’s worth of video workouts that you can do at home while Miller coaches you in real-time through your screen. Whether you’re a seasoned athlete or more of a recreational skier, this fitness course will improve your strength, power, stamina, coordination, and ultimately, your form on the slopes.
After working with some of the best ski racers in the world, Miller knows that prepping the body for the demands of skiing requires intentional focus on specific kinds of training. Building strength in the lower body is important, but it’s only one part of the ski fitness equation. This pre-season bootcamp includes it all in the form of a 6-day workout schedule, where you’ll alternate between building strength, developing aerobic endurance, increasing power, and improving your mobility. Here’s what you can expect:
- Day 1 – Power Endurance: A full-body workout that will challenge your ability to perform strength moves at speed; designed to improve your overall power output
- Day 2 – Aerobic Fitness #1: Start with a dynamic warm-up, select your aerobic activity of choice, then finish up with a hip mobility sequence
- Day 3 – Strength: Build up the big muscles of the legs then hit the deep core
- Day 4 – Aerobic Fitness #2: A different take on the aerobic fitness routine you’ll learn earlier in the week, with more emphasis on improving hip mobility
- Day 5 – Strength Endurance: A high-intensity strength workout that will challenge you to perform multiple full-body strength moves with little rest between exercises; designed to improve your ability to perform over extended periods of time
- Day 6 – Aerobic Fitness #3: A big cardio push, followed by a restorative hip mobility flow
Each day in the training program includes multiple workout videos, so just follow along as Miller coaches you through. Once you’ve made it through one week of the program, you can mix and match workouts to create your own customized ski fitness workout. Plus, we include a pre- and post bootcamp fitness test, so you can benchmark your progress towards your fitness goals.
Meet Your Bootcamp Coach
Having served as the athletic development coach for the U.S. Ski Team, Chris Miller has helped some of the best up-and-coming ski racers in the world reach their full athletic potential and come back from sports-related injuries. A former competitive track athlete with a degree in biokinesiology from USC, Miller now serves as the Physical Performance Coach for the Brooklyn Nets.