Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Seven inches of powder fell on Aspen/Snowmass just in time for twenty-nine teams of two to compete for $2,800 in prize money.Chris Davenport of Aspen/Snowmass and a Helly Hansen team athlete, along with Danny Brown dominated the inaugural Helly Hansen Battle in the Bowls on Sunday, March 30 at Aspen Highlands, taking home $1,000 in prize money.
The competition required the teams of two to drop-in from the summit of the Highland Bowl and from the main gate on the Highland Bowl as well as ski/ride Kesslers, Snyder’s Ridge, No Name, Deception, Moment of Truth, Thunder Bowl and Powder Bowl.
Athletes could take any route they desired as long as they completed every run listed on the course. Flaik GSP devices tracked the athletes as they charged across the mountain. Each team’s final time was an average of its member’s times.
The Award Winners Are:
- Fastest team – Chris Davenport and Danny Brown – $800
- Second fastest team – Brian Johnson and Robert Areson – $500
- Third fastest team – Andy Gaylord and Philip Ruegger – $300
- Fastest Highland Bowl lap – Chris Davenport and Danny Brown – $200
- Slowest Highland Bowl lap – Adam Reiner and Vanessa Vedral – $200
- Fastest down the steepest part of Highland Bowl – Jesse Amory and David Lupon – $200
- Most vertical – Jared Ettlinger and Chris Carmichael – $200
- Most lift rides – Jared Ettlinger and Chris Carmichael – $200
- Most trails ridden – Cameron Wenzel and Devon Child – $200
The Helly Hansen Battle in the Bowls was part of the eighth annual Bud Light Spring Jam, featuring concerts, competitions and parties. Spring Jam continues next weekend, April 4-6 with the inaugural CoverGirl Snow Angels Invitational. The event, hosted by Aspen/Snowmass Team Athlete Gretchen Bleiler, will feature fifteen of the best pro women snowboarders in Snowmass for a superpipe competition and photo shoots among other activities. For more information please visit aspensnowmass.com/springjam.
A special thank you to Aspen/Snowmass Bud Light Spring Jam Sponsors: Bud Light, Helly Hansen, Sprint, W.L. Gore & Associates, Red Bull, Town of Snowmass Village, Crocs, Salomon, American Express, Nature Valley, D&E Ski and Snowboard Shop, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Smith, Peak Party Rental and ResortQuest.