We went back to camp to face our demons—from moguls to steeps to the backcountry and beyond. The result? Stronger and more confident skiers across the board.
Don’t settle for mediocrity when you can challenge yourself and elevate your game across all terrain this season. These camps for all levels of ability are an effective—and fun—place to start.
Ski Camps for Bumps
Bob's Mogul Camp
Bob Barnes, head of Winter Park's Ski and Ride School, has been teaching this course for 23 years, and always encourages ending a day in the bumps with bourbon.
- Where: Winter Park, Colo.
- When: Jan. 18-20, Jan. 30-Feb. 1, March 1-3, 2019
- Cost: From $674, lift ticket not included
- More info: winterparkresort.com
Momentum Ski Camps
Whistler’s Momentum Mogul Program is geared toward skiers of all levels to sharpen their mogul skills using techniques developed by Olympian John Smart.
Bumps for Boomers
Geared towards middle-aged skiers confident on groomed blues who want to finally conquer moguls.
- Where: Aspen Snowmass, Colo.
- When: Multiple dates in Jan., Feb., and March
- Cost: From $1,27
- More info: bumpsforboomers.com
Making Friends With Moguls
These camps focus on using balance, timing, and tactical line choice as opposed to brute strength and athletic prowess in the bumps.
- Where: Telluride, Colo.
- When: Jan. 22-24, Feb. 9-10, March 5-6
- Cost: From $475
- More info: tellurideskiresort.com
Mogul Ski Clinic
Two-day sessions for intermediate to expert skiers focus on perfecting bump technique in small groups.
- Where: Mammoth Mountain, Calif.
- When: Jan. 26-27, March 2-3, April 13-14
- Cost: From $329
- More info: mammothmountain.com
BumpBusters Mogul Camps
Professional World Cup and PSIA coaches offer their expertise around mogul skiing to strong intermediate to expert skiers.
Weekend Mogul Camp
Five hours of daily coaching and video analysis in small groups aims to elevate skiers’ confidence on moguls at any skill level.
These one-day clinics for skiers with little experience in bumps are a great way to gain exposure without a multi- day commitment.
- Where: Hunter Mountain, N.Y.
- When: Multiple dates
- Cost: $139 with lift ticket
- More info: huntermtn.com
Ski Camps for Steeps
Steep & Deep Camp
Jackson Hole Mountain resort hosts Steep & Deep Camp four times a season, with its legendary terrain providing the perfect playground for skiers to hone their form and develop new skills.
- Where: Jackson Hole, Wyo.
- When: Jan. 8-11, Jan. 22-25, Feb. 5-8, Feb. 26-March 1, 2019
- Cost: Camp with lift access: $1,650; camp only: $1,350.
- More info: jacksonhole.com
Rippin’ Chix Silverton Steeps Camp
Hey ladies: Master the steeps with the sisterhood on some of North America’s most challenging slopes at this camp that focuses on technical tips to help gain confidence.
- Where: Silverton, Colo.
- When: Jan. 26-27
- Cost: From $799
- More info: rippinchix.com
Steep Camp: Ski With Kim
Ski pro Kim Reichhelm helps advanced to expert skiers take on Alta’s most challenging terrain.
Dan Egan Steeps Camps
Ski Hall-of-Famer Dan Egan teaches technique and the skills required to navigate the steepest terrain with safe- ty and confidence.
- Where: Big Sky, Mont.
- When: Feb. 21-23, Feb. 28-March 2, March 7-9
- Cost: $785
- More info: bigskyresort.com
Extremely Canadian Steep Ski Clinics
This workshop takes skiers on an intense, steep ride around Whistler Blackcomb in its one- or two-day clinics. Students train for six hours a day and watch video analysis.
- Where: Whistler Blackcomb, B.C.
- When: Multiple dates through April 21
- Cost: From $200
- More info: extremelycanadian.com
Backcountry Ski Camps
Backcountry Babes Beginner Backcountry Ski Tour
Backcountry Babes is an all-women-owned, -run, -and -taught guiding operation founded in 1997 to ensure women a place to learn and challenge themselves in an encouraging environment.
- Where: Breckenridge, Colo.
- When: March 2-3, 2019. Check out the Backcountry Babes website for other beginning ski touring courses around the country.
- Cost: $235
- More info: backcountrybabes.com
Irwin Guides Intro to the Backcountry
This two-day course runs skiers through the basics of backcountry travel, from equipment to snow safety, providing a great base to build upon.
- Where: Crested Butte, Colo.
- When: Multiple dates through April
- Cost: From $175 per person, per day
- More info: irwinguides.com
Core Ski Camps
Spend two weeks exploring the Whistler Blackcomb backcountry with instructors, with the second week featuring a full day of cat-skiing and overnight camping.
All Mountain Camp
Enjoy two or three days of instruction and off-piste skiing in Targhee’s backcountry with coaching, video analysis, and optional cat-skiing.
- Where: Grand Targhee, Wyo.
- When: Jan. 11-13, Jan. 25-27, Feb. 8-10, March 1-3, March 22-24
- Cost: From $799
- More info: grandtarghee.com
Intro to Backcountry Two-Day Camp
These backcountry courses for intermediates and up focus on terrain assessment, hazard analysis, survival, and companion rescue with transceiver, probe, and shovel techniques.
- Where: Sun Peaks, B.C.
- When: Multiple dates through the end of the season
- Cost: From $495 for the first three skiers
- More info: sunpeaksresort.com
Teton Backcountry Guides Basic Backcountry Skills Camp
Groups of up to six guests skin into a yurt in Grand Teton National Park, where they will ski, hike, and learn backcountry basics.
- Where: Wyoming
- When: Jan. 28-30, March 4-6
- Cost: From $995
- More info: tetonbackcountryguides.com
Ski Camps for Kids
Ski Girls Rock
Targeted to girls 7-14, these small-group lessons focus on improving skills, but also empowering girls through the sport.
- Where: Vail, Colo.
- When: Jan. 18-21, Feb. 15-24, March 4-31
- Cost: From $431 per day
- More info: www.vail.com
Woodward Copper Ski Camp
Ski campers use The Barn as well as the slopes to practice jumps, flips, boxes, and rails. Summer only.
- Where: Copper Mountain, Colo.
- When: Multiple dates June–August
- Cost: From $1,749
- More info: campwoodward.com
Keely’s Camp Backcountry Ski Camp For Girls
This all-inclusive, girls-only camp is an introduction to backcountry skiing and avalanche awareness education.
- Where: Montana
- When: April 11-14
- Cost: $950
- More info: keelyscamp.com
Party Beach Ski Camps
These lively camps use race drills and techniques to improve skills in all-mountain skiing during the three sessions offered throughout the summer.
- Where: Mt. Hood, Ore.
- When: Dates TBD
- Cost: From $875
- More info: partybeachskicamps.com
Travel Ski Camp (All Abilities)
Ski With Kim in Portillo, Chile
Reichhelm is known far and wide for her exuberant personality and no-holds-barred approach to life and skiing. Portillo is an unforgettable experience, where skiing is the priority, sure, but not the only item on the agenda.