Verbier, Switzerland, Feb. 12, 2001--World Championships bronze medal-winner Christine Sponring of Austria became the World JuniorChampionships slalom gold medalist Sunday in a rout, winning her title on the last day of the races by nearly three seconds. Lindsey C. Kildow(Vail, CO/Ski Club Vail/U.S. B Team) and Julia Mancuso (Tahoe City, CA/Squaw Valley Ski Team/U.S. B Team) produced the best results of thechampionships for the USA, finishing fifth and seventh.
Sponring, the downhill bronze medalist in St. Anton, Austria, earlier in the week and easily the fastest skier Sunday in each run, won in 1:16.53. MaiaBarmletter of Switzerland was silver medalist with a time of 1:19.40 and Italy's Emmi Pezzedi finished third.
Kildow finished fifth with a clocking of 1:20.13 while Mancuso, who had been eighth in the first day of racing in the downhill, was seventh in1:20.76.
In addition, Hilary McCloy (Waitsfield, VT/Green Mountain Valley School/U.S. C Team) was 24th with Jessica Kelley (Stowe, VT/Mt. Mansfield SkiClub) - who was named to the U.S. Development Team before the championships began - 32nd and Elisha Stephens (Park City, UT/Park CitySki Team) 44th.
2001 World Junior Alpine Championships
Verbier, SUI - Feb. 11
1. Christine Sponring, Austria, 1:16.53
2. Maia Barmletter, Switzerland, 1:19.40
3. Emmi Pezzedi, Italy, 1:19.53
4. Lea Dabic, Slovenia, 1:19.70
5. Lindsey C. Kildow, Vail, CO, 1:20.13
7. Julia Mancuso, Tahoe City, CA, 1:20.76
24. Hilary McCloy, Waitsfield, VT, 1:23.31
32. Jessica Kelley, Stowe, VT, 1:24.77
44. Elisha Stephens, Park City, UT, 1:27.94