Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
We’ve sweated through the dog days of summer and now it’s almost time to reap the rewards. Flurry-dusted peaks are popping up in our social media feeds, and the ski resorts are just starting to blow snow. Here at SKI, that mean’s one thing: The results of the 2023 Reader Resort Survey are about to go live.
When the 2023 Resort Guide drops on Thursday, Oct. 13, we’ll share the Top 50 resorts in North America—including the No. 1 ski areas in the East and the West—as chosen by you, the readers.
In addition to the Top 50 rankings, you’ll also find out how your favorite resorts fared across the 15 categories included in the survey, from core-skier attributes like snow quality and challenge to travel amenities such as lodging and après-ski.
We can barely wait to spill the beans, so here are some tidbits to get you through the next couple days.
SKI’s 2023 Resort Guide: By the Numbers
• One resort is brand-new to the rankings, and just missed a Top 10 debut.
• Lots of movers and shakers this year, with one big name resort in the West falling almost 20 spots!
• There are more independently owned ski areas in the Top 50 than ever before. Are skiers over the mega-resorts?
• Three Eastern resorts return to the rankings after not making the cut for a few seasons.
• Over 5,000 people submitted just under 15,000 individual resort reviews.
• 83 percent of survey respondents identify as advanced or expert skiers.
• One-third of survey respondents skied on the Epic Pass last winter, while 25 percent skied on the Ikon Pass.
• The top two issues plaguing the season last year, according to survey respondents, were limited staff and full parking lots.
Check back at Skimag.com at by 2 p.m. MST on Oct. 13 for our full 2023 Resort Guide coverage.