Hoodoo Ski Area was one of the first ski areas to be developed in Oregon and was the first to be developed in the Central Cascade Mountains. Located at the top of the Santiam Pass on Hwy 20/126, the area was picked for its snow depth, conditions and local accessibility. In 1938, Ed Thurston (one of the original developers) installed the first rope tow and then in 1948 installed the first double chair lift in Oregon. In 1962 a group of businessmen from the Willamette Valley formed Hoodoo Ski Bowl Developers, Inc. In 1999, Chuck Shepard purchased Hoodoo Ski Area and Hoodoo Recreation Services and immediately added a new lift to open up more skiable terrain and replaced the small, old North Lodge with a 60,000 sq. ft. day lodge.

Hoodoo has 806 skiable acres under permit; 120 acres maintained and groomed with a vertical drop of 1035'. Five lifts and one surface rope tow (a triple, a double, three quads and the 600 ft rope tow at the Hoodoo Autobahn Tube Hill); 32 runs (30% beginner, 30% intermediate, and 40% advanced) and 18.3 kilometers of Nordic Trails (7.5 groomed & track set and 10.3 groomed). Hoodoo offers one of the best views of the Oregon Cascades on a clear day, including Three Fingered Jack, Mt. Washington, Three Sisters, and Mt Jefferson. Day Parking is free at Hoodoo.