Near Durango in the San Juan Mountains of southern Colorado, Purgatory is at the top of its class for summer diversions—accompanied by amazing views in every direction. Last summer, the resort added summer tubing, a great compliment to the full slate of offerings.
Summer Dates: May 26-Oct. 7
Hot Ticket: Muck & Mire Mud Adventure Race, Aug. 4. A race for the whole crew, the Muck & Mire sets families loose on a series of obstacles set along a mud-filled course. Who’s afraid of a little dirt?
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• Hit the base of the mountain for a diverse range of family-friendly activities requiring little bravery to nerves of steel. Bounce on the bungee-trampoline, the bounce house, or the Gyro Chair—spinning riders 360 degrees in every direction. Thrill seekers: Fall off an 18-foot ledge straight into a giant airbag, the same kind used by stunt artists and freestyle athletes.
• Try your skills on the Sky High Adventure Ropes Course, an obstacle course high above the resort.
• Love zip lines? The Purgatory Village Tower speeds up to 35 mph the length of a football field.
• Gemstone panning, miniature golf, and a climbing wall are all available for less-intense entertainment.
• Adrenaline junkies can get their fixes with the Inferno Mountain Coaster, a 4,000-foot alpine rollercoaster twisting steeply around the mountain face. Alternately, there is a lift-accessed alpine slide that sends riders soaring down a half-mile descent.
• Summer tubing provides another way to slide down the mountain at high speeds, featuring multiple 900-foot lanes.
• Board a chairlift to access hiking trails, or just to breathe in the fresh mountain air with stunning views of the San Juans. The same lifts provide access to miles of singletrack mountain biking for all ability levels.
• Looking to cool off? Purgatory partners with Durango Board & Boat to offer paddle boarding, canoeing, kayaking, and paddleboating on Twilight Lake.