Upstate New York’s iconic Olympic venue turns into an invigorating mountain escape during the summertime, surrounded by the Adirondacks and right on the banks of serene Lake Placid itself.
Summer Dates: May 24-Sept. 3
Start running: The Peak to Brew Relay, August 11. This overnight team relay starts under the Castle on the Summit of the Whiteface Veteran's Memorial highway and finished 220 miles later at the Saranac Brewery. Teams of 6-12 split up the 42 course legs as they best see fit, but they all get beer at the finish party.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• Hit the Lake Placid Olympic Museum, where the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" hockey game went down, then tour the Olympic Sports Complex.
• Board the CloudSplitter Gondola for views of the Adirondack High Peaks. Bring a picnic and linger over those views at the summit.
• Take a guided or self-guided hike amid granite cliffs and high-altitude waterfalls.
• Many of the same trails can be explored by guided ATV tour, where knowledgeable guides navigate groups through the more secluded mountain areas.
• Mountain bikers should take advantage of 18 miles of cross-country trails that twist through the Adirondack forests.
• More daring bikers should visit Whiteface Mountain Bike Park’s 27 downhill trails.
• A nine-hole disc golf course wends its way down the lower portion of the slopes.
• Treat the kids to a day at the Adventure Zone, a kids’ recreational area complete with climbing walls, slides, slack lines, and bungee-trampolines.
• Don’t miss an exhilarating slide down the old Olympic ski jumps, which have been transformed into extreme tubing courses where guests fly almost 300 feet downhill.