Winter Park offers a nearby mountain escape from Denver’s sweltering summer heat. Although the town and its surroundings offer plenty of off-season fun in itself, Winter Park Resort keeps its world-class operation pumping to provide for guests all summer long.
Summer Dates: June 16-close.
Hot Ticket: Village Uncorked, July 7. This homegrown wine, cheese, and arts fest takes over the resort village after Independence Day for a celebration of local artisans and craftsmen and craftswomen. Samples of over 40 wines and delicious cheeses sweeten the deal.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• WP is one of the state’s mountain biking meccas. Over 600 miles of mountain bike trails extend around the resort and surrounding areas, offering prime riding of both the downhill and cross-country variety. First-timers can get their wheels under them on gentle green trails at the bottom of the bike park.
• Families with kids will want to spend time at the base, packed with a climbing wall, putting course, bouncy house, maze, bungee, mineral panning course, and 3,000-foot alpine slide (accessed by riding up the face of the mountain via lift.)
• Hiking is free—all trails are accessed from the base and give visitors the opportunity to truly hike the whole mountain.
• Scenic lift rides drop folks at 10,700 feet, showing off the majestic beauty of the Colorado Rockies.
• A 20-hole disc golf course meanders up the lower slopes, accessed via the Arrow Chairlift.
• Whitewater rafting, world-class fishing, zip lines, horseback riding, and ATV tours are plentiful in the area and operate right outside the resort.
More details: winterpark.com