Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
As the snow melts and days get longer, Crested Butte comes alive for the summer. The resort keeps its lift operations running, offering views, hikes, and plenty of mountain biking trails for the adventurous visitor. And CB’s authentic town jams all summer long with shopping, a farmer’s market, great dining, and more—icing on an already tasty cake.
Summer Dates: June 9-September 3.
Hot Ticket: Crested Butte Arts Festival, Aug. 2-4, 2019. This 47-year-old festival features a juried art show in downtown Crested Butte, plus artist demos, an art auction, live music, and activities for the kiddos.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• There’s hiking for days thanks to the miles of trails accessible for guided or unguided hikes, where guests can explore the slopes while the Elk Mountain Range towers in the distance.
• You don’t want to miss the mountain biking scene here; Crested Butte is renowned as one of the sport’s birthplaces. The Evolution Bike Park features over 30 miles of singletrack for every level of rider.
• Channel your inner Katniss and check out CB’s lift-accessed 20-target archery course for archers of all levels to practice their skills.
• Frisbee fanatics can take on an 18-hole disc golf course on the mountainside.
• For extra thrills, guests can fly high above the resort on a zip line tour, featuring five zip lines ranging 120-400 feet.
• At the base, the resort’s Adventure Park is a hit for adventure-seeking children.
• Families can spend the day playing between a mini-golf course, climbing wall, bungee trampoline, airbag jump, and prospecting course for young miners. Kids also have the option to join summer camps on and around the mountain while parents are out exploring.
• On Wednesday and Friday evenings, the Red Lady Express lift stays open for the twilight hours, so that guests can take in the scenery, ride the Evolution Bike Park, or play disc golf until 7 p.m.
• World-class fishing, rafting, and horseback riding are available near the resort and throughout the Gunnison Valley—bookings are made easy at the Evolution Bike Shop at the base.