Southern California’s mountain resort gem and easy getaway for Los Angelenos, Mammoth Mountain, has much to offer in the summer. Like its resort neighbors to the north, Mammoth also boasts a lake—or several, actually, Mammoth Lakes—with all manner of summer exploits on tap.
Summer Dates: May 24-close
Event of the Summer: Mammoth Wine Weekend, Aug. 16-18, 2019. Wine and dine around the village with tastings, winemaker dinners, a wine walk, and live music at this event that features more than 30 wineries.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• Scenic gondola rides fly tourists up the mountain to 11,053 feet, where they can eat, explore, take in views, or visit an interactive exhibit center.
• Miles of hiking trails are accessible from the base, mid-mountain, and the top of the gondola.
• Mammoth also offers some of the most diverse mountain biking terrain in the U.S.; its lift-serviced bike park contains over 80 miles of singletrack, with terrain and designated areas for all abilities.
• The mountain’s golf course is nestled between mountains and lakes, offering pristine playing space for its 18-hole, par-70 course.
• Kids will enjoy the Adventure Center, where a rock climbing wall, zip line and bungee trampoline await.
• Older children to teens can participate in Mammoth’s overnight summer camps, where they play and explore in a traditional summer camp setting in the High Sierras.
• Mammoth Mountain stays buzzing with events all summer, from concerts to motocross events.
• Close by, the Lakes Basin and local rivers offer world-class trout fishing and spectacular views to hike and bike by the water.
• Horseback riding is also available at the resort—explore the backcountry with a leisurely sense of adventure.
Editor's Note: All event dates have been updated for the 2019 summer season.