Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
WINTER PARK, CO (Nov. 17) USST – Janica Kostelic of Croatia led three Olympic medalists onto the podium Sunday, taking charge on the first run to a Chevy Truck Super Series slalom at sunny Winter Park Resort. Sarah Schleper (Vail, CO) had the top U.S. result, finishing seventh.
Kostelic, who took Olympic gold in SL, GS and combined (plus the silver in super G) had a two-run time of 1:31.35. Martina Ertl of Germany, the defending World Championships gold medalist in combined and 2002 Olympic combined bronze medalist, was second (1:31.70). Laure Pequegnot of France, the defending World Cup slalom champ and Olympic slalom silver medalist behind Kostelic, took third, another .6 back.
Schleper, 14th in the first run, finished seventh in 1:33.39. Kaylin Richardson (Edina, MN) in 15th and Julia Mancuso (Olympic Valley, CA), 16th, were the only other U.S. racers in the top 20 of the world-class 99-racer field.
The women race another slalom Monday at Winter Park.
CHEVY TRUCK SUPER SERIES
Winter Park, Colo. Nov. 17
1. Janica Kostelic, Croatia, 1 minute, 31.35 seconds
2. Martina Ertl, Germany, 1:31.70
3. Laure Pequegnot, France, 1:32.30
4. Christel Pascal, France, 1:32.59
5. Nicole Hosp, Austria, 1:32.70
Americans in the top 25:
7. Sarah Schleper, Vail, Colo., 1:33.39
15. Kaylin Richardson, Edina, Minn., 1:34.37
16. Julia Mancuso, Olympic Valley, Calif., 1:34.40
24. Jessica Kelley, Starksboro, VT, 1:36.16
25. Jamie Kingsbury, Moretown, VT, 1:36.57
— Best in the World! —