Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Sign up for Outside+ today.
Whistler, BC, Mar. 3, 2001–Olympic champion Picabo Street (Park City, UT) took another major step forward Wednesday inher comeback, winning an Ingle Nor Am downhill at Whistler Mountain, while Marco Sullivan (Tahoe City, CA) won the men’srace by nearly a half-second.
Street, who has said her major need as she comes back after more than two years on the sidelines with multiple leginjuries following her 1998 Olympic super G victory is “more starts, more time in a start gate and on-course,” won in1:51.45. Second place went to Suki Horton Anchorage, AK) in 1:54.65 with Tatum Skoglund (Bellevue, WA) third at 1:55.16.
Sullivan, who won a Chevy Truck Super Series downhill two weeks ago on the 2002 Olympic course at Utah’s Snowbasin,finished in 1:45.57. Canadian World Cup veteran Kevin Wert, who won the 1994 World Juniors DH title at Whiteface Mountainnear Lake Placid, finished second in 1:46.03. Third was Wade Bishop (Winter Park, CO) with a time of 1:46.72.
INGLE NOR AM DOWNHILL
Whistler, BC – Feb. 28
1. Marco Sullivan, Tahoe City, CA, 1:45.57
2. Kevin Wert, Canada, 1:46.03
3. Wade Bishop, Winter Park, CO, 1:46.72
4. Andre Horton, Anchorage, AK, 1:47.18
1. Picabo Street, Park City, UT, 1:51.45
2. Suki Horton, Anchorage, AK, 1:54.65
3. Tatum Skoglund, Bellevue, WA, 1:55.16
4. Brett Buckles, Steamboat Springs, CO, 1:55.43
5. Crystal Wright, Wilson, Wyo., 1:55.56