Summer in the Mountains: Snowbird, Utah
Little Cottonwood Canyon is absolutely stunning in the summertime.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Only a half-hour drive from Salt Lake City, Snowbird has just the summer mountain respite city-dwellers crave. Its valleys come alive with wildflowers and green mountain trails during the summertime, and there’s are all manner of activities on tap here.
Summer Dates: June 15-close.
Don’t Miss Event: 11th Annual Brewfest, June 15-16. Over 25 local and national breweries participate in this festive event at Snowbird’s base, where all comers enjoy beer and cider samples, live entertainment, and yummy eats from several food stations.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• Ride the Aerial Tram, which goes for a 1.6-mile ride to and from the summit.
• For open-air travel to the peaks, the Peruvian chairlift ascends 2,400 vertical feet for a 16-minute ride, transporting sightseers and hikers to the mountain’s trails.
• The resort boasts miles of singletrack mountain biking trails, including its famous 7.5-mile Big Mountain Trail, which takes bikers from the top of the Tram all the way to the base.
• The Snowbird Mountain Coaster features 3,120 feet of twists and turns down the mountainside.
• Or ride the alpine slide for 1,300 downhill feet of fun through tunnels and turns.
• Above the alpine slides, the Mountain Flyer launches dual riders in a chairlift-like seated ride, where they soar like birds back down to the base.
• At the base, check out the ropes course, bungee trampoline, climbing wall, and a 50-foot bungee drop.
• Kids can try their hands at gemstone panning, assisted tree climbing, a mini ropes course, and inflatable bouncy houses, and slides.
Editor’s Note: All event dates have been updated for the 2019 summer season.