Summer in the Mountains: Whiteface, N.Y.
This summer, you can tube down an Olympic ski jump and explore hidden waterfalls near the iconic Lake Placid.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Upstate New York’s iconic Olympic venue turns into an invigorating mountain escape during the summertime, surrounded by the Adirondacks and right on the banks of serene Lake Placid itself.
Summer Dates: April-September
Racer Ready: Wilmington Whiteface Race Weekend, May 31-June 2, 2019. With two days of mountain bike races and a day of trail running, don’t miss the opportunity to get a little competitive and have a lot of fun.
Choose Your Own Adventure:
• Hit the Lake Placid Olympic Museum, where the 1980 “Miracle on Ice” hockey game went down, then tour the Olympic Sports Complex.
• Board the CloudSplitter Gondola for views of the Adirondack High Peaks. Bring a picnic and linger over those views at the summit.
• Take a guided or self-guided hike amid granite cliffs and high-altitude waterfalls.
• Many of the same trails can be explored by guided ATV tour, where knowledgeable guides navigate groups through the more secluded mountain areas.
• Mountain bikers should take advantage of 18 miles of cross-country trails that twist through the Adirondack forests.
• More daring bikers should visit Whiteface Mountain Bike Park’s 27 downhill trails.
• A nine-hole disc golf course wends its way down the lower portion of the slopes.
• Treat the kids to a day at the Adventure Zone, a kids’ recreational area complete with climbing walls, slides, slack lines, and bungee-trampolines.
• Don’t miss an exhilarating slide down the old Olympic ski jumps, which have been transformed into extreme tubing courses where guests fly almost 300 feet downhill.