Swiss Win Women's WJC GS, US 9th
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Verbier, Switzerland, Feb. 10, 2001–Regional favorite Fraenzi Aufdenlaten of Switzerland gave the home folks plenty to cheer about Saturday as she won the women’s giant slalom on the next-to-last day of the 2001 World Junior Championships. Jessica Kelley (Stowe, VT/Mt. Mansfield Ski Club) was the top American, finishing ninth.
Verbier is in the French section of the Valais and Aufdenblatten, who hails from Zermatt in the German section of the Valais region, perhaps 60miles off, had a two-run time of 2:16.31. At the World Juniors last year in Quebec City, she won the downhill title and took silver in the combined.
The silver medal Saturday went to Czech skier Lucie Hrstkova (2:16.46) with Carolina Ruiz Castillo of Spain earning the bonze in 2:16.63.
Kelley’s time was 2:18.03 with Hilary McCloy (Waitsfield, VT/Green Mountain Valley School/U.S. C Team) 20th in 2:20.11. Julia Mancuso (Tahoe City,CA/Squaw Valley Ski Team/U.S. B Team) was 23rd, Lindsey C. Kildow (Vail, CO/Ski Club Vail/U.S. B Team) was 29th and Elisha Stephens (ParkCity, UT/Park City Ski Team) 35th.
2001 World Junior Alpine Championships
Verbier, SUI – Feb. 10
Women’s Giant Slalom
1. Fraenzi Aufdenblatten, Switzerland, 2:16.31
2. Lucie Hrstkova Czech Republic, 2:16.46
3. Carolina Ruiz Castillo, Spain, 2:16.63
4. Christina Sponring, Austria, 2:17.41
5. Kathrin Wilhelm, Austria, 2:17.51
9. Jessica Kelley, Stowe, Vt./Mt. Mansfield Ski Club, 2:18.03
20. Hilary McCloy, Waitsfield, Vt./Green Mountain Valley School/U.S. C Team, 2:20.11
23. Julia Mancuso, Tahoe City, Calif./Squaw Valley Ski Team/U.S. B Team, 2:20.46
29. Lindsey C. Kildow, Vail, Calif./Ski Club Vail, 2:21.41
35. Elisha Stephens, Park City, Utah/Park City Ski Team, 2:21.94